Kickin' It to the Curb and Culture Clash
Posted on 17 January 2010
- Researching trends, colors, and culture.
- Studying and analyzing runway creations from New York, London, Paris and Milan.
- Looking at what is going on in popular culture.
you sometimes have to kick it all to the curb and go with your gut.And that is exactly what I did. Our Spring 2010 collection (our 20th btw since we are celebrating our 20th anniversary this year) didnâ€™t evolve from the traditional research means, but from researching museum archives.Â When I came across this vivid jhuladi all my previous research scattered to the curb and instead spun off of this one boyâ€™s jacket from India. . . So this is how my thought process evolved:
- Indian jhuladi, and shisha mirror work
- Japanese kimonos with sherry blossom motifs
- Chinese opera costumes with dragon embroidery
- Romanian vests with eastern European embroidery
- Balkan skirts in girlie silhouettes and novelty embellishment
- And of course my beloved cowboys and Indians of the American West